Tool Importance: Nice to set up, helpful if you are losing a lot of hours a daily moving and organising data files.
Many of you are now probably thinking, why on earth is “Windows Task Scheduler and MS-DOS” recommended as a useful tool for an analyst. Well, let me explain how this free gem from Microsoft can change your life. “IT ALLOWS YOU TO AUTOMATE AND SAVE TIME”.
If you are copying or moving files from one folder to another as a daily task, you need to automate the process to free up your valuable time with something more productive, e.g. making money and analysing data.
How can I use this tool?
With windows MS-DOS you can create some basic command which can
- Move files from one folder to another, and rename them
- Combine 100 CSV files into one large file, e.g. 100 days of racing data into one file.
- Backup your data files
- Schedule tasks to import data into a database.
Windows Task Scheduler can
- Schedule the commands to run every day at a specific time
So, if you are repeatedly doing some repetitive process every day, even if it takes 30 minutes, multiply that 30 minutes by 365 equals 182.5 hours a year. It’s a significant saving, from such a small, simple task.
How much does it cost?
- “MS-DOS” and “Windows Task Scheduler” FREE and included with your windows operating system.
- There are numerous tutorials on youtube on how to move/copy files and schedule commands in windows task scheduler.